About Me

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."
— Marjorie Pay Hinckley

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Miracle in Nebraska

I thought that I should share an experience that just recently happened in our little branch here in O'Neill Nebraska. We just received sister missionaries to serve in our branch. The first time in 13 years. I received a phone call from them on Saturday asking for my help. On Sunday they were bringing an investigator and her three young children to church and asked that I be her "buddy". They said her name was Michelle and that she had already scheduled her baptism. I of course said "but you've only been here a week!" They told me that they had been walking to a less-active members house last Sunday and saw Michelle leaving her house. They approached and introduced themselves. Michelle then told them that she had just been thinking that day that she should find a church for her and her children to attend. The sisters asked if she would like to learn more about the Church and she agreed. Two meetings later she was committed to baptism. Now I am sure you are all wondering, OK where is the miracle? Well... As I was sitting and playing the prelude music at the organ, I looked up to see my friend Michelle walking in. Now Michelle and her friend Brenda take guitar from me. All of a sudden I realized that they were the same Michelle! My Michelle, guitar Michelle, was the Michelle that is going to be baptized! Of course it was EASY to be her buddy! I ran over - abruptly ending the "beautiful" organ music - and hugged her and welcomed her. She was as surprised as I was to see me there. Well, I wasn't surprised to see ME there, just her there. When we told the sister missionaries that we already knew each other, they were shocked. But then again, we do live in a very small community! It just goes to show you, you never know who is prepared to receive the gospel and how your friendships can enrich the lives of others.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Yeah!! That is soooo Cooool!

TheTamFam said...

What a beautiful story! Those great sister missionaries must have been inspired to ask you to be the fellowshipper in the first place. You have such the cutest writing style, too, Mandi. Thanks for sharing!

M&EMS said...

THAT is awesome! You now have a "buddy" in the gospel, how fun for you.

Chris and Mel said...

how fun mandi! it's awesome to come across your blog- i can't believe it's real life now... you'll hafta come see our fam at www.movinandshakin.blogspot.com

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany